20.11.2012 | Sofia
Sofia Queer Forum
November 20-25, 2012
Sofia Queer Forum is an event that investigates, with the means of contemporary arts, gender and sexuality as parallel systems through which we value ourselves and the others around us. These systems have a strong influence on all aspects of culture and society. The influence is, of course, two-sided. This is why in focus here is also the changing of the concepts “gender” and “sexuality” depending on social, political, cultural and medical factors that are inherent in a given time and space.
During the last century, the issue of gender equality finds various representations in the history of Bulgarian arts and culture. This issue is always treated in relation with concept such as parenthood, sexuality, ethnic, national and class background, professional realization and education, access to basic human rights, among which are the right to labour, the freedom of speech and expression, etc. In the context of this forum, these interrelations acquire a contemporary dimension in keeping with the problems of today’s society.
The forum puts all of these together in an international context with a special attention given on post-socialist societies. Apart from the included Bulgarian participants, we have also invited artists from Germany, Russia, Slovenia, Poland, Serbia, Canada, Hungary, USA and Belarus. We will show art works from the areas of documentary and experimental cinema and video art, contemporary visual and performance arts, fashion, as well as artistic parties. The program also includes presentations and theoretical discussions that will touch upon subjects such as technologies and cyber feminism, as well as creating activist networks.
Sofia Queer Forum 2012 is not only a platform for the representation of art with specific issues, but it also has the aim to provide space for generating ideas and creative stimulus by meeting different generations and cultures.
The forum is curated by Boryana Rossa and Stanimir Panayotov
The forum takes places in the context of the initiative New Left Perspective with the support of Social Center Xaspel, Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung – Southeast Europe, Fonds de Trut
Ani Vasseva (Bulgaria), Alla Georgieva (Bulgaria), Adelina Popnedeleva (Bulgaria), bionihil (Germany/Belarus), Boryana Petrova (Bulgaria), Voin de Voin (Bulgaria/Germany), Diana McCarty (USA), Iv Russeva (Bulgaria), Istvan Kantor (Hungary/Canada), Katya Bozhikova (Bulgaria), Katarzyna Kozyra (Poland), Mariela Gemisheva (Bulgaria), Milena Gramova (Bulgaria), Marina Grzinic, Anja Schmidt & Zvona T. Simcic (Slovenia), Nadezhda Plungyan (Russia), Natalia Todorova (Bulgaria), Nina Arsenault (Canada), Oleg Mavromati (Bulgaria/Russia), Stefan Karchev (Bulgaria), ULTRAFUTURO (Bulgaria/USA), Umnaia Masha (Russia), Chto Delat? (Russia) & Vladan Jeremic (Serbia), Yassen Zgurovski (Bulgaria), DJ Marcolina (Bulgaria), The Anti-Gays (Bulgaria)
November 20, Tuesday
- Opening of the forum with The Anti-Gays: the fridge & Xaspel, 7-11 PM
- "Stars" exhibition: the fridge & Xaspel, 20.11-20.12.2012
November 21, Wednesday
- Opening of "O2" exhibition at The Red House – Center for Culture and Debate, 6.30 PM
November 22, Thursday
- Artist talk by Voin de Voin, the fridge & Xaspel, 5 PM
- "The Alleater”, a theater performance by Ani Vasseva, the fridge & Xaspel, 8 PM
November 23, Friday
- Opening of "Creating the Myth " exhibition, in SAMCA, 4 PM
- "Fish Party 2013", a performance by Mariela Gemisheva, in the yard of Ogosta House 5, 8 PM
- Party in ID Club with DJ Marcolina and Iv Russeva, starts at 12 PM until late
November 24, Saturday
- Screening of the movie „25 Years of the Lesbian Group Skuc-LL, Ljubljana” by Marina Grzinic, Anja Schmidt and Zvonka T. Simcic, the fridge & Xaspel, 4 PM
- Artist talk by Katarzyna Kozyra, the fridge & Xaspel, 6 PM
- Presentation by Nadezhda Plungyan, "The New Queer/Feminist Art in Russia and the Social Exclusion ", the fridge & Xaspel, 8 PM
November 25, Sunday
- Screening of the movie "Who Left What Behind?" and discussion with Milena Gramova and Katya Bozhikova, the fridge & Xaspel, 4 PM
- Presentation by Diana McCarty “A Media of Her Own: The Generations of Feminist Practice“, the fridge & Xaspel, 6 PM
- Screening of the movie “Partizan Sonsgpiel” by the group Chto Delat? and discussion with Vladan Jeremic, the fridge & Xaspel, 8 PM
- Closing of the forum with The Anti-Gays: the fridge & Xaspel, 10-12 PM